Saturday, October 3, 2009

Why I have gray hair

One two year old who continually tries to exert her independence - mostly through refusing to take off her Halloween Costume I ordered (side note: confirming the fact I HATE glitter) which I'm sure will be in threads next week and throwing herself on the ground and going limp. Or, getting up as early as she wants and then refuses to go back to sleep, when I do, she sticks her finger up my nose and scratches. Visual: not pretty.

One six year old boy who refuses to get ready faster than a snail in the mornings. I think he finds secret joy with me getting so frustrated when he's eating breakfast or in the bathroom after everyone has been loaded into the car ready to go (and we're always running late as it is). I won't mention the times I've found him in the bathtub when we've been loaded ready to go places - just because he wants to take a bath.

One eight year old who misplaces everything. "Mom, where did my (you fill in the blank) go?" I must have super human radar abilities since he keeps asking me where things go I've never seen before.

One four year old who uses the "I don't feel very well" line a lot. Like in school so she gets sympathy. Or when she collapes on the soccer field because the ball goes past her and she didn't kick it and then screams out for all to hear, "Now I don't get to get an ice cream because I lost the ball" - like I'm some sort of obsessed soccer parent (BTW: I never told her anything about ice cream) and crumples into a heap and sobs. Coaches check on her, parents give her that sweet, "Oh, poor child" look and her mother - dragging her off the field for the 10th time with a screaming Ellie in a football hold in the other arm and telling her to "Cowboy Up". Probably doesn't do much to dissuade someone that I'm not a crazy sports obsessed parent. Mostly It's because I've already dealt with 2 boys who have to go to the bathroom...bad..and it's not the easy run to the trees type..a baby who throws all the contents out of my purse, it's hot, I've lugged all the chairs, blankets, and other paraphernalia to the game...realizing I look like a disheveled woman who has far to many kids for her abilities.

Seeing how fast they are growing up, I'll take gray hair any day.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

Oh Maureen, how I love your posts! You are so honest and real in your description of being a Mom... it's hard work and exhausting, but like you say, I don't think any of us would trade it for anything! Have a great trip and I look forward to catching up when you get home.

Victoria said...

You know, your claim to not be a psycho soccer parent might mean more if you didn't show up with a whistle, "COACH" hat, and cleats on and run up and down the sidelines while she is going after the ball. Honestly, have you no shame, woman? :)

I LOVE your posts--but just look at your glass back door to see how much more gray hair you could have...:)

Kristen said...

Maureen - I sure love you! You made me giggle pretty hard with this one. :) btw - gray hair rocks! (at least that's what I keep tellling myself)

Shawni said...

I've definitely got the gray hairs too...and yes, I'll take them, along with the chaos.

and I'm one of those moms who DID tell my kids in our young soccer days that they could have ice cream after the game if they at least TOUCHED the ball once during game time.

Hang in there with the Tinkerbell outfit! Can you hide it? I'd love to see your family pictures. I hope they turned out well.

Love, Shawni